Monday 5 November 2012

Drinking Kool-Aid

I am about to join a cult. 

A cult that makes me roll my eyes a little, but it took some time to come to this decision, and I took a long time to think about if this cult was the right one for me.

Yes, I'm joining a Crossfit gym.

The horror.

My reasoning?   Gym classes don't motivate me any more.  Pump doesn't work for me.  I love spin but I'll find a way to bring it back (or I may get a trainer for my bike).   I love lifting weights but I feel like I'm kind of stuck and I know I can't go farther without someone pushing me and watching my form.  And I miss having a gym partner to push me.

I did two things in the last couple days, I tried kickboxing, which I loved, and this morning I went for my consult/trial for the Crossfit gym by my apartment.

I adored boxing and would have gone back, if it wasn't for the fact that Crossfit is a better fit.

I didn't realize that I would be doing a workout this morning, but luckily I was dressed properly.

Today, we spent a little bit of time doing movement assessments and then worked on my squat.  I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to do 1x5 full squats beyond parallel with 45lbs.  It's not a ton of weight but I've always been scared to go beyond 90 without anyone around.

Todays WOD was longggggg.  At 18 minutes, it's on the longer side of WODs (or as this gym calls them, Metcons.

3 sets of 4 minutes as many rounds as possible of 15 kettlebells and 10 ball slams with 3 minutes rests.

I managed to get through all 3 sets but there was a lot of sweating going on and the last set was pathetic.

I'm going back Thursday for my personal training/total assessment so we'll see how this goes.

I'm really excited! 

Don't worry, I won't make you drink the kool-aid!

No comments:

Post a Comment